This year BAM will award 45 scholarships totaling $182,500 (USD):
- four (4) $20,000 scholarships distributed over 4 years ($5,000 per year, renewable)
- forty-one (41) $2,500 one-time only scholarships
The BAM Scholarship was created to enable Black and African American students to attend college and pursue a career in technology. The goal is to empower future generations to do and be more.
To be considered for a BAM Scholarship, you must:
- Be a US-based high school senior of African descent (for example, African American, African, Ethiopian, etc.).
- Plan to attend a four-year college or university in the US in the fall immediately following your high school graduation.
- Plan to pursue a bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science, computer information systems, or select business programs (such as finance, business administration, or marketing).
- Demonstrate a passion for technology.
- Demonstrate leadership at school or in the community.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher.
- Require financial assistance to attend college.
How to apply
To apply for a BAM Scholarship, submit your application online by March 15, 2022 with the following items:
Two letters of recommendation. At least one letter must be from a faculty or staff member at your school. Letters of recommendation should be original and should not be duplicates of college recommendation letters. (Letters must be on letterhead.) If you request a letter to be uploaded by your recommender, please ensure they have done so by the deadline (March 15, 2022). All materials must be received by the deadline.
Résumé. Your résumé should include the following information:
- Extracurricular activities (school and community related)
- Honors and awards that you have received (if possible, include awards that are technology related)
- Work experience
Picture of yourself. Pictures must be in color.
Transcript. Include a copy of your current academic transcript. (Official or Unofficial copies will both be accepted.)
- In no more than 500 words, describe how you plan to engage in the technology industry in your future career. (If you have done exemplary work using technology during high school, please describe that also.)
- In no more than 250 words, demonstrate your financial need for this scholarship.
All materials MUST be submitted through the online application link below. Emailed or mailed documents will not be accepted. For questions please email BAMScholarshipInfo@microsoft.com.