Specialists work closely with our marketing team and are responsible to build and maintain a positive public image for our company. They are in charge of establishing and maintaining relationships with our Chapters, greater community, interns and staff, and public interest groups by writing press releases and other media communications, researching potential contacts and partners, and responding to requests for information. The PR Department will work closely with the Social Media Department managing the Pinterest account.
**Skills required for each team: **
- Blogs: They create media, from press releases to blogs, that shape public opinion of the company or organization and increase awareness of its brand. The skills required are strong creative thinking and writing skills; passion about topics to write about; willingness to learn; excellent time management; motivation to do deep research; in-depth knowledge of GSuite office and various Google applications; independent and collaborative nature; Work ethic and willingness to learn; strong communication; enthusiasm for PR; must have a strong desire to write. Writing Sample: Write a blog about a member of the STEM community of your choosing. Take into account this has to be catchy, of around 300-800 words, and, most importantly, has to show your passion for writing!
- STEM News Team: The STEM News team is constantly on the look for engaging events to write about! If you are interested in researching, writing, and comparing numerous sources to create the most unbiased version of an event, this team is definitely for you! News can be external to NSTEM or internal (press releases, events, etc.), but always related to STEM. The skills required are motivation and patience to do deep and detailed research, time management, critical thinking, love for writing, and strong communication. Writing Sample: same as Blogs
- Webinars: The Webinars team is in charge of… you guessed it… Webinars! Members of the Webinars team need to have strong communication and be on top of the roles and responsibilities assigned to them. There are a lot of different responsibilities, ranging from creating presentations/handling social media posts for the webinars to helping with content or contacting guest speakers. There is also an opportunity to work in the technical side of webinars, where one can handle the responsibility of making sure the webinar runs smoothly. No previous experience is needed but any previous teamwork skills are strongly recommended!
- Editorial team: The editorial team is responsible for proofreading writing pieces that have been written by the blogs team. Members of the Editorial Team need to be thoughtful and dedicated in regards to their work. It is not necessary for them to have the relevant skills entirely mastered before joining the team, but someone with writing or editing experience is preferred and a willingness to learn is also important. Because of how detail-oriented this team is, only members of the blogs team that have shown outstanding writing and organizational skills will be invited to join the team (in other words, first-time applicants will be required to have experience writing on the NSTEM blogs team before having the opportunity to work on the Editorial team)
- Research Specialists: Public relations is a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their public. In order to accomplish that, we need to know our public. That is where the Research Specialists Team comes in! In this team, you will be doing an extensive investigation on what preoccupies and interests our audience. Skills required: willingness to learn, excellent time management, motivation to do deep research; independent and collaborative nature, work ethic, and strong communication.